Saturday, July 01, 2006

Camp Blood: The Musical


I got a copy of Camp Blood: The Musical written and directed by Tanner Barklow, Jefferson Craig and Thomas Hughes. I can't quite recall how Lakeside and Camp Blood become friends, but I was intrigued as soon as I read about it.

I am a total geek over musicals, as I occasionally note, and while I'm not, as an adult, a big fan of the slasher genre, I do have a warm sense of nostalgia for the slasher movies of the '80s and the hours I whiled away with my friends watching whatever trashy video we found on the shelf.

This idea particularly resonated with me, since I had toyed for a short time with what would be required, creatively as well as legally, to make a musical version of Dan O'Bannon's wonderful Return of the Living Dead. I haven't, as it happens, completely written off the idea.

Anyway, reading the Horror Talk review written by DJ Benz, which includes some pictures (not all safe for work) that give a good impression of the feel of the movie, and Retro Slashers review written by John Klyza. Both made me even more anxious to check this out.

The DVD came with a note explaining that the movie was made in mere days for $200, but they are re-writing the songs and developing a feature length script.

Now, having watched the short movie, it's about half an hour, I can't say I'm sure how I feel about that either way. The cheap sets, cheesy lights, etc. all lead it to having the feel of the best musical your high school didn't put on. A version that moved too high above that would lose some of the intrinsic charm, although I suspect something around the standard of Trey Parker's Cannibal: The Musical would be good. Certainly the story could be expanded upon without much trouble.

Aside from the sets, the highlights were the stoners enormous bags of drugs, the "Tops Come Off" number and especially the chase sequence number. In fact, in an expanded version, I'd like to see the chase number reprised a time or two. I'd also like to see the climax worked out a little stronger.

But I do generally disagree with Klyza regarding the kills. There's a wonderful kill with an oar that comes to an hilarious conclusion and and nice play on the famous Twitch of the Death Nerve/Friday the 13th, part 2 death that made me smile quite a bit. I suppose some work could be put into the others, as it goes, though.

I won't give away more. It's a fun little show. I'm very glad I got a chance to check it out.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics